Lovely to meet you.
I’m Jo: a writer, editor, poet, artist and creator based in Southampton, UK.
I created jofisherwrites.com in 2016 as a space to share my poems, thought pieces, reviews, creative writing and the occasional article on culture.
As well as words, I am a lover of art; I dabble in painting, sketching and calligraphy, and am always keen to visit new exhibitions and public art displays.
Other hobbies include listening to music, reading (constantly) exploring my local area and cooking (and eating) new recipes.
Find out more about:
- Southampton and me
- My poetry and performance
- Appearances on air
- My theatre reviews
- My career
- Fancy a chat?
Southampton and me
I’m always busy writing, reading, or exploring the city I’ve called home for over a decade. I’m a huge advocate for the city of Southampton and am continually finding new spaces, re-visiting favourites, and sharing what I enjoy.
I’ve written about my affection for this city in the past, and regularly review events and post about the city and my favourite spaces on my social media channels.
Poetry and performance
I’ve been writing and studying poetry for a number of years, and have been performing my own work at poetry nights and events since January 2018.
My poetry milestones include:
- June 2019: I performed at the Royal Albert Hall for Hammer & Tongue National Slam Finals, having come first in the Solent Regional Finals in December 2018.
- July 2020: my poetry was featured in Locked Write Down; a charity anthology of poetry written in lockdown, which raised money for Black Minds Matter and NHS Charities Together.
- April 2021: I won an artwork commission with local art and heritage venue, God’s House Tower. After working with the team on the visual design, and winning the public vote, a line of my poetry will be installed in GHT’s cafe space. Read more about my neon artwork on the GHT website.
I’ve had my poetry published on websites such as Dear Damsels, MishMash and Stylist.co.uk (winner of their 2018 wedding poetry competition). I am also in print, in anthologies by Dear Damsels, and Brenda Magazine.
Appearances on air
I’ve appeared on local radio a number of times, including:
- November 2018 – BBC Radio Solent – performing and discussing my poetry live on air.
- December 2018 – guest appearance on Amy Harwood’s podcast series, Art & Stuff
- September 2019 – BBC Radio Solent – performing my own poetry and reciting Keats in a celebration of autumn.
- February 2021 – BBC Radio Solent – performing a love poem to the city of Southampton, on behalf of the University of Southampton
- March 2021 – BBC Radio Solent – performing a poem I wrote especially for the station about one year of pandemic lockdowns.
Since April 2020 I have also been the host for the University of Southampton’s podcast series, Universi-tea. Listen to all our episodes.
My theatre reviews
Since spring 2017, I have been reviewing local, regional and national theatre productions. Performance and on-stage storytelling is a passion of mine and I love sharing my thoughts on and experiences of all sorts of shows, from musicals and ballet to opera and drama.
You can also read more theatre reviews on this website.
I adore reading and am always adding to my TBR lists and filling up my shelves with new and exciting publications of all kinds.
I sometimes review what I’ve been reading and share my thoughts on books on this website when I have time.
I enjoy sharing the lessons I’ve learned and my experiences in writing with others, and have led a number of workshops and sessions.
In December 2019 I ran a poetry workshop at the Ladies Wine and Design Southampton Christmas event, which received great feedback.
In October 2019 I ran two theatre reviewing workshops with the Mayflower Young Writers, teaching young people aged 11-18 how to start writing theatre reviews. You can read about that in this blog post.
All of the above is done in my spare time! I am employed full-time and work as a copywriter and editor by day. My ‘day job’ involves creating articles and features on research and education, interviewing exciting people and working on tone-of-voice, style, and brand guidance. I’m also a podcast host!
I’ve also recently started to take on freelance projects in my free time, and have written for other websites, printed publications, and marketing campaigns. I’m always open to new opportunities when it comes to words.
If you’re interested in learning about my career so far, you can find me on LinkedIn.
My writing sometimes extends to thought and opinion features, exploring anything from dating and comfort zones, to failure and mental health. I would love to have my writing published in magazines, journals and maybe even a book one day.
Fancy a chat?
You can contact me directly about potential opportunities, collaborations, reviews, copywriting work and more.
Alternatively, stop by my social media pages just to say hello and follow me to see what I get up to every day!